Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fall Fun

Fall is by far my favorite time of year. I love the chilly mornings, the changing of the leaves, going to pick out pumpkins, and trying out new festive recipes. Growing up, I never experienced the changing of the seasons. Ever. In San Diego it's 70 and breezy just about every day. So, needless to say, I have enjoyed living in Virginia.

This past week the kiddies and I made the best of the season. The other day I went along on my son's field trip to a local pumpkin patch. I was assigned one other child besides my three, and we were allowed to go off in our group as long as we were back to the buses by 1:15. At around 12:30, I decided we would run into the corn maze quickly. Please note the key word quickly. There is no such thing as quickly running into a corn maze. This might have been useful information at 12:29. But enter we did, and I found that there were questions about bees along the way. You know, how long they live, the different jobs they have, how they make honey, basic stuff. I vauguely remember learning about this in elementary school, but I also discovered boys at that time, so there really was no retained information regarding my schooling from grades 2 through 6. Sad, but true.

Anywho, I apparently got the majority of the questions wrong, because we were in there a LONG time. And to top it off, it began to pour down rain. Pour. The kids kept asking me if we were lost, and I think I convinced them that we were not, because they all seemed to enjoy themselves. I, on the other hand, was completely panicked and scared, and was actually trying to google the answers to the daggum questions on my phone, but alas, I had no reception. None.

We eventually made it out 45 minutes later completely soaking wet. It was fun. I'm glad we made it out alive. But there will be no corn mazes for me anytime in the near future. Or ever again.



On a completely unrelated note, our neighbors brought us fresh eggs from their farm, and they were AMAZING. I made a quiche, and I could definitely taste the difference between store bought and farm fresh eggs. Have I mentioned how much I love our neighborhood? Like I really love it.

And lastly, our son injured himself on his dirt bike. He apparently burned his inner leg on the exhaust? It looks more like claw marks, so The Marine told him to tell everyone at school he fought off a bear.
We like to promote honesty in this family.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny that you posted the leg injury picture! When we were on the hay ride, he showed it to me and mentioned that it looked more like bear claw marks. And I said, "You should tell people you fought off a bear. That's a pretty fun story to tell!" lol....
    At least now I know I'm not the only one telling your son to lie! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?