Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pineapple Zucchini Sheet Cake

Errr, I finally made my husband the carrot cake he requested for his birthday, it's only a week late. Better late than never right? And really the only motivation I had was that another wonderful neighbor came by yesterday with his tractor and fixed our driveway (the rain keeps washing it away!), and I felt the least I could do was bake him a cake.

I have a wondeful recipe for a pineapple zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting that I happened upon when a neighbor brought me bags and bags of fresh zucchinis from her garden this summer. I substituted the zucchinis today for carrots and I split the sheet cake into two pie pans (one for my neighbor, one for my huth-band).  My daughter 'helped' me today while my youngest was napping upstairs in his crib. I woke up late today (there's a shocker) and had to rush to get my oldest son off to school and I didn't exactly have time to change her or myself out of our pj's, so I declared it pajama day, and we baked, and rocked out to Taylor Swift and went looking for eggs in the coop all to the tune of a crowing rooster. I must say, it's been a pretty gosh darn fabulous day. Anywho, here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Pineapple Zucchini Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting*

  • 1 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (can Use All White Flour If You Don't Have This)
  • 1-¼ cup Granulated Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
  • Freshly Grated Nutmeg, To Taste (1/4 To 1/2 Tsp?), Optional
  • 1 Pinch Ginger (about 1/16 Tsp Or So), Optional
  • 3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
  • 2 whole Large Eggs
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
  • 2 Cups Grated (unpeeled) Zucchini (*see Note)
  • 1 (20 Oz.) Can Crushed Pineapple In Juice, Drained (reserve In Case You Need It For The Cake Batter Or The Frosting)
  • FROSTING
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
  • 8 Ounces Low-fat Cream Cheese, Softened (can Use Full-fat Cream Cheese)
  • 2 Cups Powdered Sugar, Approx.
  • 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
  • Splash Of Milk Or Pineapple Juice, If Necessary
  • Chopped Walnuts Or Pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk.
Combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Stir egg mixture, grated zucchini, and pineapple into flour mixture. Batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together. If it still seems too dry, just add a little splash of the pineapple juice.
Spoon batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for about 33-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
To prepare frosting, combine butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla just until smooth. Add a splash of milk or pineapple juice if necessary. Spread frosting over top of cake. You can garnish with chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired.

*Copied and pasted from here.

It's a-ma-zing, but it does nothing for the rear-end though.

My 'helper' went a tad heavy on the nuts, but like my husband always says, you can never have too many nuts. Come to think of it, I think he means that as a sexual innuendo.

Hmmmm, gross.

I apologize for squelching your appetite. I'll go now. 

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?