Saturday, February 19, 2011

Alpacas, Friends and Butter

Today was AWESOME. Micah and I did something today we had only dreamed of doing. We purchased three alpacas!!! They are males, because males are infinitely cheaper, so we still have to save up for two females, but today was a good start. I say we have to save up for two because they cannot be alone and you have to keep the males and females separate, so two females is in the works. We just can't buy any groceries or spend any gas for uhm, like, the next four months???



Zacheus (photo from New Trails website)
 I know, it seems ridiculous, but they really are a good investment... or we're just going to keep telling oursleves that. Alpacas are a wonderfully docile animal, so they are great with kids, and their fiber is amazing. We bought two fawns and one white, which is great because I will be able to dye the fiber. The plan is to spin their fiber into yarn, and then make wonderful things and/or sell it. That's the plan, I just need to, you know, sell my right leg to buy a spinning wheel. Anywho, we have big dreams, and maybe none on them will come to pass, but we're going to try.



Titus (photo from New Trails)
 I'm so excited! Thanks to New Trails Alpacas for helping us through this process and giving us such a great deal.

And on top of the alpacas, we were able to stop by and visit with some dear friends who we haven't seen in FOREVER due to distance. My friend April is the first friend I made after moving here to Virginia seven years ago, and we've been buddies ever since. We were even pregnant together all three times (by our respective huth-bands, don't worry).

AND... (I know, you can't believe there's more!)... we made butta.

Who knew it was so easy?



Throw some heavy cream in a jar with a marble and shake!



Micah did 95% of the shaking. (I had to paint my nails). But that's not the point, it's butter!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on those alpacas! - They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Rachele, I am so happy you have joined up with Farm Friend Friday and I love your blog. I want alpacas so badly. Can’t wait to see how it goes for you-they are beautiful!! Have you checked e-bay for a spinning wheel--you never know. I had no idea you could make butter like that--does it taste like butter? Can’t wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the alpacas! When do they arrive with you? We've just done the same and bought 3 boys, they're still too young to come to stay so we won't get them until May. I've been on a couple of courses to learn how to felt their fleece which was great fun!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I am enjoying Verde Farm's blog as well. :)

    Laura, we bring them home on Sunday, and we are so excited! I have also been to a wool workshop. There is so much too learn, but I am looking forward to the experience. I'll have to check out your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sure are pretty. Good Luck on your new adventure. Thats really cool about the butter, have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alpaca fiber is wonderful for spinning! I wish I had aplacas also. It will be fun to see how you do with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new farm friends. They look cute.
    I love your rationalization - yeah, I do the same thing!
    The butter is great! I've got some cream left over...I'll have to try it! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?