Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Meet Corporal

Well..... we got a couple more chickens this weekend. I know, I know I said no more, but I saw an ad on Craigslist for an Amercauna hen (the kind that lay green eggs) and he was selling the hen with a rooster, kind of a two for one deal.



Now I know what your thinking, you only need one rooster for a small flock (we have 7 hens), but honestly, I was thinking that we could use the new-come-along-with-the-new-hen rooster for a stew. It would have been our first time harvesting a chicken, and I say 'our' like I'd be involved, but believe you me, I will have no part of that.

None.

That'd be Micah's job.



Isn't he pretty?

Anyway, when we brought him home, he just kind of fit it in with our other birds. Sergeant didn't seem to mind. The girls thought he was pretty. And there didn't seem to be any reason to uh, you know, send him to rooster heaven.




He's pretty, but he's tiny! About a third of the size of Sergeant (not pictured).

He has decided, however, that he prefers the goat barn over the chicken coop. He sleeps on their entrance gate. It's actually kind of cute. Not so cute when I walked up to visit with my goats and he scared the heebie jeebies out of me because I didn't see him sitting there, but he's cute at other times. He'll go in the coop during the day for food and water, but at night, he flies out over with the goats. And I figure since he will not wind up in a stew (as of right now), I should name him. Since Sergeant is the head honcho at the farm, I'll call the new pretty rooster Corporal. Corporal is beneath Sergeant in the Marine Corps, so there you go.

Okay, but really, no more birds. I swear. 

I can't promise you there won't be alpacas in our near future though....

1 comment:

  1. You can never have too many chickens! We have 15 and I have 15 more on order! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?