Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Do it Yourself Pottery Barn Spring Painting

I love Pottery Barn.

Like LOVE it.

My wallet, eh, not so much.



I was browsing the Pottery Barn Kids latest catalouge and saw the cutest little set of four spring paintings, and they wanted... gasp... $49 for each one! Knowing I wouldn't be able to talk my hubby into letting me buy one painting for our daughter, let alone the whole set, I thought I might be able to muster something that resembles the PB paintings. I chose to try the bird painting on the bottom left.

Here is my attempt.




Start out with a nice clean canvas. I buy my canvases in packs of three from Walmart and they're maybe $4?? Super cheap. I then drew out in pencil my picture. And silly me, I forgot to photograph this step, but you're smart. You get the idea.



I painted in my background using a light pink acrylic paint. Acrylic is great because it dries uber fast and it's, again, super cheap. I then added in the white areas. I added bit of cream to my white in an attempt to match the Pottery Barn color.


Next came the green areas. Mine came out a bit darker than the PB picture, but it works. And it doesn't have to be perfect. (At least that's what I'm telling myself).


Then I added the yellow and blue areas. You don't have to let each color dry before painting the next color because you're not painting over anything. If you need to go back and darken any areas if the canvas is showing through then you will need to let the paint dry.



Next came the raspberry areas. I lightly dipped my brush in raspberry then drug it through the yellow wings while the PAINT WAS STILL WET. I wanted the colors to mix together like the PB photo.



I let all the colors dry at this point then I went back with my white/cream color and wrote the words coming from the birds mouth and put a few highlights in the photo. I couldn't make out what the PB words were so I made my own. I added just a touch of the light color throughout the painting to add dimension to the picture.


I hot glued a pretty pink ribbon to the back of my canvas and tied it in a bow. I let it dry completely then affixed it to my daughter's wall. One painting down, three to go.



I saved space for the other PB pictures but also centered the painting to stand alone, you know, cause there's a good chance I won't be getting to the other paintings anytime soon. But check out the frog picture I painted for my daughter a few months back.



She requested it after watching Disney's The Princess and the Frog.

I think my attempt at the Pottery Barn painting turned out alright, and I hope you try this fun little craft too!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, so cool! Thanks Jill! You. Are. Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of your paintings! So cute! Pottery Barn is great to imitate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I had the same idea and copied the one on the bottom right, but my painting skills aren't nearly good as yours so I used stickers. Feel free to check it out here
    http://copy-cat-crafter.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You did a fantastic job! You are downplaying your painting skills because you are very good. Love the frog, too. If it weren't for the Pottery Barn catalog, I don't know what we'd do!
    http://cottageatthecrossroads.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the kind words everyone.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog. Didn't know you were so crafty. I love painting and crafts too. We'll have to get together sometime. I too, like cooking and crocheting. Don't get to do it as much as I'd like to. Maybe when I retire I can do more. I think it's pretty awesome (and tiring!LOL) all the things you do. So wonderful to see a young person really enjoying using the provisions God
    gives us. Learning to be self sufficient from the wildlife, land and the domestic animals is such a dying art. I really admire you for it and your kids will one day look back on some really wonderful memories of all the unusually creative things you taught them to appreciate.

    I'm glad you got Lucky settled in just fine. He is a cutie. Hope you guys have tons of fun with him.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?