Friday, April 15, 2011

Chicks!

I couldn't help myself. I went to the feed store to pick up.. well...feed. And as I was there they were putting out a new shipment of chicks just recently hatched, and better yet, they were sexed! I had been before and they were all straight-run, and knowing my luck I'd come home with six cockerels.



They are guaranteed to be pullets (females), so we'll see... The golden comets are definitely pullets as the cockerels are white as opposed to the brownish red, but I don't know how they sex the leghorns, I guess we'll see...



The new state law requires a minimum purchase of six birds, so six we got. And for $2 a chick, well, you can't beat that. There are four golden comets and two white leghorns. I'm excited about the leghorns since we haven't had white eggs since the first of the year (when I had to buy eggs from the store). I have heard good things about golden comets so I'm anxious to see how they fit into our flock.



But for now, they're hanging out in the kitchen under a heat lamp. The constant sound of little chicks chirping is sweet music to my ears, and another reminder that spring is here.




Okay, but seriously, no more chickens.



No seriously.

2 comments:

  1. this is our first year resisting the urge to buy those cute little fluff balls. hoping we can get lucky and our hens and roosters figure out how to do it the old fashioned way. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog today.
    Chicks are so cute,I have two hens setting on about 40 eggs,good thing some will have new homes!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?