Friday, April 29, 2011

Horsing Around

Still down here in the great state of Georgia. We're heading back to North Carolina manana before making our way back to Virginia on Sunday. I'm not going to lie, it's been pretty sweet not having to cook and take care of twenty something animals at the butt crack of dawn every morning, but I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again. And of course reuniting with my sweet huth-band.



My sister in law took me out on a ride yesterday on her Quarter horse Hips, and it was a blast. When asked, my daughter said his name was Hips 'cuz he's got a big ole booty.' I haven't ridden a horse in quite some time, but I didn't fall off so I'll count that as a success. I spent a lot of summers riding horses in Wisconsin with my Aunt and I forgot how much I LOVE  horses. My love for the animal came back to me when we moved to our little farm. And the reality that I may one day own my own horse is sinking in. (Not until our kids are older though and we save, you know, a small fortune to afford their care).





The kids got another opportunity to ride the horses again. I think they're having as much fun as I am. But I'm not going to lie, being right to next these amazing creatures was pretty intimidating, and if I can convince my sister in law to let me share a picture, I'll post what was done to her toe by the large black beauty below.



We spent the day at my brother and sister in laws new horse property. They were putting up temporary fencing to decrease the pasture area since the grass is so overgrown and they don't want the horses to founder.




You can see how tall the grass is in the above photos. My kids loved playing in the tall grass and my oldest son had a blast riding his dirt bike (and getting stuck). We're home now taking a break before heading out to celebrate a birthday. I might have forgotten how to cook by the time I get home! Happy Friday to you. :)

5 comments:

  1. looks like your vacay was a lot of fun! i have two horses, one being a paint. hop on by and take a look at them. maybe one day you will get a couple of horses for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What am amazing get away. I am a huge sucker for horses. In fact, my husband and I met at our horse barn back when we had horses and could afford them. (Before house and kids!)

    The break from cooking and cleaning are not bad either!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted horses and it has finally happened. Though I have to admit they are alot of work but thankfully my daughter does most of all the chores. The cost isn't as bad as you might think. It costs just as much as any other hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are having a blast! It's been so many years since I rode a horse, I probably wouldn't remember how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great horse pictures ..but especially love the ones of the children in the green pasture.

    happy day!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?