Monday, June 27, 2011

Goat Milk Soap

I did it! I made soap using our goat milk. I've read various articles suggesting that soap making is not particularly easy, especially dealing with the lye, but I did it! I made lavender-rosemary scented soap and it's so amazing, it's making my whole house smell yummy. I even dried a bit of the lavender from my herb garden and threw it in the mix (that's what the dark specks are.)



The soap has to cure for about three weeks before  we can use it, but it looks promising. I have to hone my soap cutting skills though, but for my first batch, I'm pretty happy with myself.



Next up on the soap making agenda... tangerine-eucalyptus. I just have to read up on how to dye the soap naturally. If I can get enough batches made, I may even list them in my Etsy shop. :)



Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I'll buy some! You're making me more and more open minded about a dairy goat!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Just one more reason dairy goats rock!! :)

    I've never made soap, but have bought goat's milk soap from a friend & it was divine. I'm happy your first attempt was a sucess :)

    BTW-Dunno if you saw it but I replied to your goat's milk flavor questions on my blog.

    Oh & that board www.dairygoatinfo.com I reccomended has a soapers category for all the goats milk soap making members that might give you some ideas & I know at one point there was nice soap molds, stamps & cutters that were for sale (used but in good shape) for a decent price..

    Be sure to update us on how the soap is once your able to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Satcy, be open minded to the goats. :)

    Thank you Crystal, I did not check your reply but I will, thank you for responding, and I want to thank you for all your advice and kind words. I'll have to send you a bar of soap once it has cured (about 3-4 weeks.) :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?