Friday, July 8, 2011

When Life Gives You Cucumbers, Make Pickles.

I tried my hand today and canning, something I'm slightly ashamed to say I've never done. I'm a girl from the city alright!

Sorry for the outburst. Okay, moving on.

The first thing I bought when we moved here to the farm was a ironically a pressure canner. I knew we were going to have a garden, and so it seemed like a smart buy. Our strawberries have not done well this year, although I hear the second year they're better??? One of the things that has done well in our garden is cucumbers. Which is a good thing because our little family LOVES cucumbers and LOVE LOVE LOVES pickles.



So I busted out my pressure canner, followed this recipe, and there you go. Pickles. From what I've read, we could in theory eat them in 24 hours but I think we'll be patient and go the two weeks to let all the flavors really develop.






I made another batch of goat milk soap and it should be ready to cut tomorrow. I'm excited for it to smell up the house! I think this will be my favorite scent yet, it's Vanilla Mint. Yum. I have also been working on soap labels. Can't wait to show you those!



I hope you have a great weekend. I know we will. We're going to dinner at this farm, and they're real farmers. I'm hoping they can show us the ropes. :)

1 comment:

  1. Your pickles look lovely.. I remember my first time making them... Many years ago.. After the first batch I have been hooked ever since.
    What is the name of them and did you have to put them in the pressure cooker..
    Hope you enjoyed your dinner.. Sounds wonderful going to farm for dinner..
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?