Thursday, August 25, 2011

Applesauce Makes Everything Better...

Today was the first day of school for my two oldest babies.



And I was a hot mess.



The kids were completely and utterly excited, and they both loved their teachers and had a fabulous day. I, on the other hand, had to occupy myself so I didn't sit and watch the clock all day and cry my eyes out. I know, I know, school is a natural part of life, but I had a really hard time sending my kids off today. I'm not sure why exactly, but I did.




My friend emailed me last night and I think jokingly asked if I would come over and peel and core 3 bushels of apples with her today, but I happily jumped at the opportunity. You know, the whole keeping myself busy thing.

My little man and I dropped the kids off at school and hopped in the truck and went and got to work with our sweet friends and they kindly fed us lunch and let me stay all day. (Thanks guys!) I only broke down and cried incessantly once. Okay, maybe once more in the bathroom.

And on the way home.




We got through one of my buckets of apples (the ones we picked yesterday after the earthquake shook them off the tree) and two bushels of Joanna's. We just made applesauce today, and it was yummy! We had some for dinner tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can tackle the other bucket and make a few pints of apple butter, apple chips, and have enough for a pie.

Or two.

And maybe apple donuts.

We'll just see how it goes.

Here's hoping I survive tomorrow while my babies are gone. Excuse me now, I feel the tears a'comin'!

2 comments:

  1. Mine are 15 and I still hate the abrupt change from carefree summers to schedules and routines. The kids always fair better than the moms it seems. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we decided to nix the apple butter tomorrow and process chickens! We aren't going to start early so unless you are dying to process chickens instead of going to the grocery store come on over :o)! We'll catch you next time. I finished canning at 9:00pm tonight! I ended up with 24 quarts of applesauce. Not bad. Thanks for all your help today!!

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?