Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fall Is In The Air

Ahhh, Fall.

I love Fall.  

Almost as much as I love Christmas time.

How do I know fall is in the air? Well for one, my daughter asked for a jacket this morning when we stepped outside to take her and her brother to school. A jacket! It's still August!


This pepper from the garden made it into the salsa, yum.


 Our spring/summer garden is coming to a close too. I got all the tomatoes today off our plants, there are a few more small green tomatoes, but I'm not sure how much we'll get after that.  I was able to make salsa during my little man's naptime today ensuring we can enjoy our summer tomatoes on into the fall and winter.

Red Leaf Lettuce

Mustard Greens

Kale

Broccoli


Our fall garden appears to be doing well too. We've got lots of greens going, and fingers crossed, we'll have plenty to eat fresh and plenty more to freeze. I also planted A TON of broccoli. We love broccoli in this family, so we'll need lots if it's going to last us through winter.

I plan on taking another trip to the orchard/ pumpkin patch again soon. I mean, you have to go to the orchard in the fall, right? And with those apples, I made the best apple pie this weekend, and I do mean the best. I used this recipe, but like everything else in life, I tweaked it a bit to make it my own. Here's what I did different:

* I used Gala apples instead of Granny Smith, giving it a more milder taste (which I prefer).

* I added 1/2 brown sugar to the mix (so naughty).

* I did not pour the sugar mix over the lattice crust, instead I poured it in between each layer of sliced apples, then I put my lattice crust on top. I brushed the top with  butter, and baked it at the same temperature and time.

* I ran three miles after consuming a piece to undo the damage I had done.

*  I then came inside famished from running and ate another piece.... Oiy.


Happy Wednesday to you!

~ Sarah ~




1 comment:

  1. No, no.....brown sugar looks more "earthy" so it's better for you & calorie free.

    An apple a day keeps the doctor away, so no calories in those either....that just leaves the crust & butter to run off...That only takes 1 mile per slice, so if you ran 3 miles, you still have one more slice you can eat guilt free ;)

    Sounds logical right?? It does to me so send me a slice & I'll run 1/2 a mile (because the pie would loose 1/2 the calories while shipping ya know...)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?