Thursday, August 11, 2011

Panning for Gold and Tomatoes



Today I took the kiddies to the library for 'cowboy' day, and it was so much fun! Of course the children came dressed in their hats and boots. :) They panned for gold first with a great group of guys from the local gold club. They showed the kids how to pan for gold and even let them give it a go. The best part? They got to take home their gold.






We then headed inside and read a great book about a gold mining family and finished the morning off with s'mores. Did you know it was National S'more Day? Neither did I! But it sure was a treat. We had so much fun and it was great learning about an important part of our community. Out town was a big gold mining area  back in the day.

And I managed to get all the tomatoes canned last night that my neighbor brought over. I had planned on making salsa, but I didn't start canning until after the kids went to bed so by 11pm I was done and just wanted to get the process over with. I just cut them up in quarters, topped the jar off with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and a little boiling water and processed them for 15 minutes and voila! It was that simple. Well, simple after I got all the skins off the darn things, and cleaned the seeds out.



I'm still tacking the peaches, but it's coming along. At least the tub isn't this full anymore.




1 comment:

  1. Sarah, you can also cut and freeze the peaches and bake with them and make smoothies with them later. Also made Peach Jello cakes and that holds up for a few days in fridge !!! -Julie Capozella

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?