Monday, September 26, 2011

Mother Earth News Fair- Pennsylvania Trip Part 1

We went up to the Mother Earth News Fair this weekend and oh my land was it soooo worth it. I was a tad frazzled on Friday when trying to pack for a family of five, explain to our sweet neighbor how to care for the animals while we were gone and get on the road at a decent time (but I had to wait for a certain hubby to finish up at work). Micah rented us a rustic cabin a few miles away from the resort the fair was held at, and when anyone says rustic, you know you need to bring EVERYTHING. Towels, sheets, blankets, pillows, food, utensils, cookware, you get my point. So for a three day getaway, I felt like I had to pack half my house.

The fair was awesome though. Worth every penny we spent, and every bag I had to pack. The first day I was able to here a lecture by these folks, and I feel really good about the prospect of making bread daily now. We sampled lots of veggies from local farms, and saw some amazing hand knit items (sadly I didn't buy any, in hopes that this would force me to crochet my own). Micah was also able to sit through a 'plowing with pigs' lecture while I took the kids to see the animals.



Sheep!

The had a display of animals, and a coloring/ box car area for the kids so when they got bored with the lectures we could let them have some play time.



View of the fair from the ski lift

There was also the ski lift that we rode, maybe, 8 times???




Look at these alpacas, ohhhh, makes me miss mine.



A Dorking chicken, a breed we are seriously considering. They are a dual purpose breed and are very docile, obviously a plus with small children around.



Okay, and I have to mention my son's hat. It stands for National Wild Turkey Federation (he's a proud member) but my huth-band noted that some might think it stands for National WTF? It doesn't, but I thought it was funny. Alright then, moving on.



Mini horses... I think I may have talked the huth-band into letting us get one (or two) for the kids. We could also use them on the farm as well perhaps to pull a cart???



This woman was an inspiration, she is spinning wool from a rabbit sitting on her lap! So cool!

The second day, there were substantially less people, so we were able to hear a lot more lectures. We heard Jackson Landers talk about hunting deer for food. (He's from Charlottesville!) He was raised by vegeatarians and dicovered that even when harvesting soy beans, there is a blood animal trail. So he felt that hunting was actually more humane. We really enjoyed his speech and I feel we learned a lot.



We couldn't find his book though, the bookstore was pretty packed. But we were able to purchase a book on small cattle farms and beekeeping (we are definitely doing that come Spring).

We also heard this wonderful farm discuss how they entered the cattle farming business and it was very inspiring. They started small too, so it gives Micah and I hope that we can do it too.

And the final lecture of the day was by the owner of Cold Antler Farm, and she dicussed meat rabbits, which along with bees, we will be investing in come Spring. It appears to be infitnitely easier to harvest meat rabbits than chickens, and the taste is very similar.

We learned so much, the kids were amazingly well behaved (and learned lots too!), we picked up some great literature, and a few bamboo soap dishes for the goat milk soap I make, but gosh darn, it is so good to be home.

I had a great time, but I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight. Stay tuned for the next post about the rest of our trip. Good night all!

~ Sarah ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?