Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pennsylvania Trip- Part 2

As I mentioned last night we headed up to Seven Springs for the Mother Earth News Fair this past weekend. Not only did we have fun at the fair, but we had a blast at the cabin we stayed in. It was basically like camping with a roof over our heads. There was no toilet or running water in the cabin. You had to walk up to the outhouse for a potty break (yes I said potty) or to the natural spring for water.





They had a little play area for the kids.





They also had a small waterfall you could walk up to see. I didn't take a picture of my shoe choice, but I happened to be in leopard print flats. Not exactly hiking appropriate attire, but it worked.




The scenery was gorgeous. This creek was directly behind our cabin.




The kids loved the bunk beds. Even our two year old figured out how to get up and down all by himself. And they had a table placed directly in front of a wood stove so we could sit by the fire without freezing our booties off.

Because no one wants to do that.

I wanted to also mention that my favorite lecture we heard at the fair was by Heather Houlahan. She discussed the use of dogs on small farms/ homesteads, and I really enjoyed what she had to say. She brought up the point that just because a dog is 'herding' or 'working' breed doesn't mean it automatically performs those tasks. It needs to be trained to do so, and other breeds, could in theory, be trained to be used on farms besides the typical Border Collie. It really hit home for me especially since we raise Rottweilers. They are a herding breed, but typically are not used in that manner anymore. I think these days the breed is used more as a guard dog (which they're very good at I must say). We've been working with the dogs to get them to help us 'herd' the chickens in the coop at night and to 'herd' the goats up in the pasture, but we have a long way to go.

I can't say enough how much fun we had and how much we learned. We'll definitely be going back next year.

Better get back to the laundry though, it piled up over the weekend! Good night all!

~ Sarah ~

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like y'all had a blast! What a great trip, love the pictures!!

    You my dear have been awarded the Liebster Blog Award:

    http://noodlevilleadventures.blogspot.com/2011/09/noodleville-in-awards-ceremony.html

    Details and info in the link above :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm Im having trouble leaving comments.....So if this ends up a duplicate, I apologize.

    Wish I could have gone to the fair! The whole trip sounds like an amazing time! Love the pictures too...beautiful!

    Also...You have been awarded the Liebster Blog Award! :)

    For details:

    http://noodlevilleadventures.blogspot.com/2011/09/noodleville-in-awards-ceremony.html

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?