Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Apple Cider Muffins

Oops, I forgot a Thankful Tuesday post yesterday. I had quite the headache and had football/cheer practice last night for my kiddies, so by the time I got home I was ready for bed.

Anywho, I did get more work done on a scarf that I've been crocheting as a Christmas present. My goal is to make as many handmade gifts as possible.

We'll see how that goes.

My little man and I made apple juice yesterday. Okay seriously? I'm all for self sufficiency and making things from scratch, but I'll never make that again. I used half a bushel of apples that I got locally the other day, which I then had to core and cut up. I added water and cooked it down and strained the juice over a cheesecloth-lined-colander and got maybe one quart of juice. It was pitiful.

It was fun, I'm glad I tried it, but from now on, I'm getting my apple juice from the store. There are some things that I will continue to buy such as flour, yeast, sugar, oil, things that I cannot make on my own, and apple juice will go on the list of don't-make-this-at-home-it's-not-worth-the-effort-and-money.


He just can't resist mud puddles!


Micah drank some juice last night and my plan was to have enough to can so I could make apple cider doughnuts weekly, but that didn't pan out. And then I figured my bootie may not appreciate weekly doses of doughnuts anyhow so I found this healthier recipe to make instead. I took my son to the library this morning, then we went and had lunch with my older kids at school and came home to make muffins! Actually my little man slept while I made the muffins, but that's okay, he thinks he helped.



I adapted the recipe a tad. I used my apple juice as opposed to apple cider (and I don't think it makes a difference). I also omitted the yogurt and added a bit more of my homemade apple butter to the mix. I also doubled the batch and froze half so I could pull one or two out for breakfast each day for Micah and I to eat. I'm really happy with the result and my house smells so yummy and fall-esque right now. Is that a word? Probably not.

The rain has been falling all day, and I'm cuddled on the couch with my kids drinking hot tea. It doesn't get much better than this!

Oh, I guess I need to get up and get dinner going before the huth-band comes home. :)

Happy Wednesday to you!

~ Sarah~

1 comment:

  1. Funny about the juice. Some things are just not worth the effort. We have been processing apples over here, too. Apple butter is in the crock pot!

    I "liked" you on FB after a mutual friend turned me on to your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?