Monday, October 24, 2011

Bread Box and Squirrel Stew

Well.... I mentioned last night that I had three squirrels soaking in salt water overnight and that I was going to put them in the crock pot this morning for dinner.

I did all that (I know, I'm as shocked as you). I forgot to mention that in order to make it a 'stew' you would need to add flour when you had about two hours to go. I planned on eating at 5 tonight, so as soon as I got home from picking my kids up from school at 3:15 I pulled the squirrel out of the pot and pulled all the meat off. It literally fell off the bone at this point and was really easy to do. The pigs got all the left over bones, and there was no fat on these guys so I shared a little meat with my piggies.

Because I love them so (and I need to fatten them up).

After pulling the meat from the bones I put it back in the crock pot with all my root vegetables and added about 3 tablespoons of flour and some butter for good measure.

Because butter makes everything better.

I stirred it well and let it cook for another two hours.

At a little after five, I turned off the pot and served it up, and oh my goodness, who knew squirrel stew was so good! If you would have told me 18 months ago that I would ever quarter, cook, and EAT squirrel I would have laughed in your face.



But alas, I did. The kids had a bite, in their defense, they aren't big soup fans in general, so they had a pizza instead. We had corn on the cob and a salad from our garden. It was so good and so cool!

Today happens to be our nine year anniversary. We're not doing anything fancy, just the stew and football practice. We're boring old married folks now. :)



Micah did find me this bread box though. I had been asking for one to store all the bread I've been baking, and he found this one at a yard sale for ten dollars! It's old and worn, and I love it! I couldn't help but paint it though.

I have no control. I paint everything.



I tried to keep the lettering as similar as possible to its original way. I still need to find a knob, the other was cheap plastic, but this was a quick fix and a really great, practical, cheap gift. Thanks dear!

Better hit the books, night all. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love squirrel! When I lived not too far from Boston, we used to eat the Great Northern Grey. Had to take them with a .22 or a .410. Ask Micah how he likes the piece I'm carrying in the photo of me in Vietnam I uploaded a bit ago.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?