Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fall Ramblings

Today is Thursday which means.... library time. We love going to the library, like LOVE it. The children's director at our local branch does a really great job of putting together a cute little craft and theme for the kids each week. Last week the illustrator from this book came out and read to the kids, so cool! I may have enjoyed it more than the kids.

Just slightly.

I love going each week to find fun new books to read to my kids but this week I had a purpose. I was trying to find books on maple syrup, cheese, and rabbits. We plan on tapping our maple tree as soon as the weather cools a bit. It seems easy enough but I'd still like to gather as much information as possible before undertaking the task.



I wanted to find a cheesemaking book as well. I attempted to make feta the other day and it was a complete flop. I'm not sure what I did wrong exactly, the milk was fresh, the yogurt was good, and I had my rennet. Anyway, I thought I'd see if I could find better literature on cheese than just what I google on the internet and go from there. I'm not giving up on making cheese. I've made ricotta numerous times and it turned out fabulous, so I know I'm not a total cheesemaking failure.

I also wanted to find a book about rabbit pelts, as in what to do with them. (I didn't find any, but I did find a rabbit book I thought was interesting). I have these visions of beautiful rabbit trimmed booties and a fashionable vest for myself and maybe a blanket for the sofa. Again, I'm not finding much in the way of information about rabbit pelts on the internet.



In speaking of rabbits I am really enjoying this Havana breed. They are a smaller meat breed, but in terms of their disposition, they are great. Our angoras were a bit standoffish and didn't particularly like being held by the kids. But these guys (and girls) are just as sweet as can be. They come up to the door each morning to say hello when I open it to feed them and throw more bedding down. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of Gretel's litter. She was bred to our black buck on September 30 and October 1st and rabbits are pretty true to their 31 day gestation, so if the breeding took, she should kindle this weekend. I went ahead and put the nest box in her hutch this morning so we'll see....



I spent some time in the garden today (it was in the 70's!) harvesting some of our fall crops. I actually found a few tomatoes that the pigs happily gobbled up. There was quite a bit of greens, and kale and red lettuce. My neighbor had just brought me a bag of string beans as well, so I blanched everything (except the lettuce), cooled it quickly, dried it, then stored it in freezer bags. I could have canned the beans and greens but since I have the freezer space, I figured that was the easier method of preservation.



A sure sign fall is in full swing- our 14 hens have cut back in their egg production. As soon as the weather cools and the days become shorter, they cut back. I think one or two are moulting as well. They'll pick back up again (I hope), when Micah can introduce artificial light in their coop, but for now we're getting 2 or 3 a day max. The hens didn't get the memo that the holidays are around the corner and this mama has things to bake! So birds, if you're listening, start laying or you might find yourself in the soup pot!

Okay one more rambling and then I'm done. Maybe. Before library time we stopped by a friends's house because she emailed me the other day saying she had this for me.



She said it was just taking up space in her house, and she knew I'd love it..... and boy was she right. I LOVE it. It's the cutest ironing board/ stool I've ever seen. Thanks Lynn!



I tell ya, could a girl have better friends?




It would typically would go in a laudry room, but I love it so much, I want it showcased where I can see it. The wood matches the color of our hutch and table so nicely... it was simply meant to be.


Look at all the wood stains, it's like I planned it. (I didn't)


I'm going to leave the wood alone and not paint it completely, but I may paint a flower or two (or three) on the seat portion and back of the stool.

Because I have to paint everything.

Anyway, I better feed these kids dinner, and head off to football and cheer practice. Happy Thursday to you.

~ Sarah ~

1 comment:

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?