Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Good Fall Day

What a great Fall day! It started out with the kids and I sleeping in (I love those kind of mornings). The huth-band went out bow hunting and the kids and I hung out in our pj's until he came home. It's not often that we don't have to wake up and rush off somewhere, so I cherish the mornings when we can just relax.



We went 4 wheeling for a bit, and saw some great scenery on our ride. :)

If we had had time we would have gone apple picking, and then it would have been the perfect Fall day, but we just couldn't squeeze it in. I'll have to go get a few bushels this week at some point because I would like to can more apple butter and have some more chopped apples in the freezer for an easy side dish during the winter months (thanks for the idea Joanna!).

Our buck

Our six month old doe

Our nine week old doe


I also was able to spend some time with these guys! I know, I know, I was just talking about meat rabbits a few days ago, but they sort of fell into my lap. I was reseraching breeders in my area and I happened to find one and he happened to have an unrelated pair that were of breeding age. When the kids and I got to his rabbit farm (just to look of course) he threw in an extra nine week doe at no charge who is of a different litter than the buck, so we'll have two does for breeding once she's old enough.

They are Havana's, a little bit on the smaller side for meat rabbits, but with two does, we should have plenty of rabbit meat (and if my huth-band would get us a deer we'd be set, but no pressure or anything Micah). I went ahead and already bred the doe and buck today, I'll try a few more times to make sure it took and then separate them, and in theory we could have a litter of meat rabbits in a month! Wow.

As much as I wanted to stay and cuddle with our new critters, we had to head off because my son had two football games, and my daughter cheers for his team, so we (literally) spent the afternoon at the ball field. Seriously what's better to do on a chilly Fall day than tend the animals and watch football? And my son's team in still undefeated. Woot woot!

We went out for coffee and ice cream afterwards and came home to a nice cozy warm house. It was such a great day, and I'm really looking forward to raising our new animals. I hope you had a wondeful Saturday too!

~ Sarah ~

3 comments:

  1. I thought id stop by your blog and say hello. And i hope your enjoying the beautiful fall weather that has begun. Richard from Amish Stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought id stop by your blog and say hello. And i hope your enjoying the beautiful fall weather that has begun. Richard from Amish Stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rabbits are so cute! Unfortunately the apples I put in the freezer tasted terrible! That has never happened before~ I hope yours do ok.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?