Sunday, October 23, 2011

While The Boys Are Away....

We had a great weekend. We had a nice visit from my in-laws, we had our last game of the regular football season. We're in the playoffs next week, and if we win, we go to the Superbowl, woot woot!



We took the kids to the county fair too. So much fun!

Micah and my 6 year old went out deer hunting. They've been out several times this season and to no avail. I jokingly told him not to come back if he didn't bring us any meat to eat.

I was only half  kidding.




While the boys were out my daughter, younger son and I had a 'tea party'. I had made some tea for myself (my throat was a bit sore) and it turned into a pajama/tea party. Not sure how Micah feels about his son having tea with the ladies, but hey, he's too young to go out in the woods with the menfolk, so he's stuck with us.





We had a good time though and these kids had me laughing hysterically!

Well the boys finally came home and didn't see a single deer, but our neighbor kept Micah out of the doghouse and provided us with dinner. He shot us three squirrels!*** Then he very kindly showed my boy how to skin and gut them. (Thanks neighbor, not sure you want your name on the blog, but we appreciate you feeding us.)



Glad my boy has the stomach for this, not sure I would.

I quartered them and they are currently soaking in salt water (overnight) to help get rid of the 'wild' smell.

Tomorrow morning they'll go in the crock pot for squirrel stew. You could throw anything in there really, but I'll use potatoes, carrots, and onions. I'll add some water (about 2 cups) and salt and pepper to taste and viola! Set on high for about eights hours and there's dinner. It should turn out to be a nice warm, hearty stew. I think I'll serve it with some homemade bread and corn on the cob. Hmmmm, I'm hungry already.

Hope you had a great weekend too!

*** Gray squirrels and red squirrels are legal to shoot in Virginia for this Fall season which is September 3rd through Januaty 31st with a maximum of 6 per day. Just in case you were wondering. :)

~ Sarah ~

1 comment:

  1. Ive lived in VA ALLLLLL my life, and didnt even know there was an ILLEGAL time to kill them! LOL Guess thats what I get for living in the country on a farm, you do what you want and nobody knows! LOL :)

    BTW- You didnt have to show an ADORABLE picture (of the dead squirrel) looking so cute and snuggled up THEN the pic of your son RIPPING its skin off! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?