Friday, December 16, 2011

The Christmas Gift Crunch And A Hunt Day For Veterans

Have I told you how much I love Christmas time? Well I do.

A lot.

I was so excited and I thought  I was done with all my gift making, BUT the yarn I used to make hats for all the kids was on sale. Yes on sale, sooooo, I had to scoop it up and I've been making scarfs and mittens in coordinating colors to their hats. I know my oldest (who's 6) isn't really a scarf wearing kind of dude, but if I didn't make him one then he would feel left out, and I have to snap a photo of them in their matching cold weather accessories, right? Right.



As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been trying to make as many gifts as possible. It's not necessarily any cheaper, I've made 17 hats so far this season for family and the cost of the yarn is about the price you'd pay for a hat at Walmart, but I like the idea of giving a homemade gift.



Along with the hats, scarfs, and mittens for the kids I wanted to make them something handmade for their rooms. I found this shelf at the thrift store for 2 dollars and I'm going to paint it black for my son's room and he can use it to hang his hats and and store some of his trophies.



I made this bow holder for my daughter and she can affix some of the crocheted flower bows I've made for her.

My youngest son is getting a painting for his room which I am still working on.

My Dad is flying in just a few days, and I'm really, really excited. I have a lot of holiday baking still to do, but my goal is to be as stress free as possible. (Is that possible this time of year?) I'm going to stock my freezer with homemade cinnamon rolls, and banana bread so I can pull them out in the morning and re-heat without having to spend all my time in the kitchen while my Dad is here.

We've got a big weekend ahead of us, we have our town parade which my son will be in with his boyscout troop, we have a birthday party to attend, we're having Christmas early with my mom on Sunday, and my huth-band and neighbor are hosting Operation D.A.P on Saturday in our town. It's a hunt day that has been organized to allow disabled veterans, that wouldn't normally have the opportunity to hunt, do so. Our community has helped out greatly and will be providing meals for the veterans, a local hunt club has offered to butcher anything that is shot, and Hampton Inn is providing accommodations for the veterans who are traveling. We have one coming in  from Oregon! I'm so proud of my hubby, he's put so much time and effort into this hunt day, and I really hope it goes off without a hitch, and secretly I'm hoping he shoots a turkey for us to have on Christmas Day. Our piggies aren't ready to slaughter yet, so it's either store bought ham, or Micah comes through... let's hope it's the latter.

I hope you're having as much fun with your holiday preparations as I am. :)

~ Sarah ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?