Monday, January 2, 2012

All Good Things Must Come To An End

I knew this day was coming.


Photo Credit: Oldfields Photography

I didn't want it to, but I knew it was coming.


Photo Credit: Oldfields Photography

The day that our kids would go back to school from their winter break and the day that Micah would head back to work. Well that dreaded day is tomorrow. We've had a blast these past two and a half weeks, I loved us all being home as a family, hanging out, playing board games, watching movies, sleeping in, staying up late.


Photo Credit: Oldfields Photography

And now it's over.

I tried to soak in as much of them as I possibly could today. My oldest son went out to help Micah work on the brake lights of his trailer for a bit while my youngest son (who appears to be a little under the weather) took a nap and my daughter and I painted, colored in her new books she received for Christmas, and crocheted. She has asked me to teach her how. She just turned five, so she may be ready? I don't know. Today I just worked very slowly and talked her through everything I did.



And I pretended like I knew what I was doing.



I made a phone case for my Android, and she helped me sew the button and flower on (to which she was very proud of). She has now requested a pink DS case, so I think I might tackle that with her tomorrow? Maybe I'll even let her use the hook. Maybe.

Micah introduced us to a dice game called Greed, it's so fun and it's good for the kids because they have to use their math skills. (Okay and maybe I do too). So we spent the afternoon enjoying the warmth of our new wood stove and playing games as a family.

No tears Sarah, no tears.

I wanted to make a big pot of chicken soup to take the chill off (it was very cold today, and should be even colder tomorrow) but I didn't have any egg noodles, so I used rice instead and was really happy with the results.

I boiled one of our chickens, I think it was Henrietta.

No, I'm kidding, I didn't name the broilers. Well, even if I did, I won't confess to it because who names their chickens? Sorry Henrietta.

Anywho, the chicken cooked for about 30 minutes and then I pulled the the whole thing out and let it cool while I cooked some vegetables in a saucepan with a bit of butter. I used carrots from the garden and onions, but you could add just about anything. I also made roux in another pan and once it was done I added that to the chicken stock and stirred it VERY well.

Meanwhile I was cooking one cup of whole grain brown rice, it made about 2 cups cooked. Once it was done I added that to the chicken stock and roux.

I pulled all the chicken off the bone once it was cooled and cut it into smaller pieces and then threw it into the pot, I let it cook a bit more and added salt and pepper to taste.



This picture doesn't do it justice, but I'm not a photographer, so you'll have to take my word that it was really, really yummy.

This day could have only been made better with a little bit of snow. Tomorrow, on the other hand, well, we'll see about tomorrow.

Goodnight all!

~ Sarah ~

3 comments:

  1. Tell us about the game?? We are always looking for new games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa here is a link to the game info page. :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed_(dice_game)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, now you have me in the mood for chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?