Monday, January 9, 2012

Goodbye Chemicals, Goodbye

The more I read and educate myself, the more I realize that I need to continue to make changes to the items that we use on a daily basis. I'm really trying to weed through and figure out what I can make at home that will allow our family to avoid as many chemicals as possible (and is cost effective).

If you've been following this blog you'll know that we haven't used shampoo and conditioner in quite some time. Micah and I both agree that our hair never feels dirty or smells, it's never oily, it feels... well healthy. I make a baking soda wash and we rinse with apple cider vinegar diluted in water. I recently began adding peppermint oil and honey to the apple cider vinegar rinse to aid with the smell of the rinse and the health of the hair.

I had stocked up on shampoo and conditioner so we still have a few bottles left, and I will keep those bottles under the sink for the occasional overnight guest, but we, as a family, are using homemade products on our scalps only from here on out. I will also continue to make all of our own hand soap with goat milk that we milk by hand from our herd.

This not only saves us money but it's SO much healthier and better for us.

And you know how I feel about apple cider vinegar. I hoard the stuff. I use it everyday in so many ways, and I have found yet another use for vinegar... window cleaner! I bought a huge container of Windex some time ago and I'm almost done with it, but I have also been using a homemade window cleaner and I definitely prefer the one I make. Here it is:

2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup household ammonia
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 gallon water

Who knew vinegar had so many uses?

I continue to make our own laundry soap, but I have been using store bought fabric softener along with it.  This is awful and I need to stop. Like now! Fabric softeners (and dryer sheets) contain all kinds of chemicals, some of which have been know to cause respiratory problems! I found this recipe and as soon as my bottle is out, I am making our own fabric softener. And guess what one of the ingredients is? Yup, you guessed it, vinegar.

I'd love to hear any other ways that you are keeping yourself chemical free and being good to the environment.

And I hope that you are having a blessed day!

~ Sarah ~

2 comments:

  1. I remember when you posted on giving it to your chickens. I also tried it on my hair in hopes it would wash away any build up. I liked what it did, but thought it may have been a bit drying so I like your ideas of adding things to it. I am encouraged to experiment more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah we as a family have given up shampoo and conditioner as well! I love my baking soda and vinegar rinse! It works wonderfully on my hair.

    I have been looking for a goat milk soap recipe. Can you tell me how you make it?

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?