Friday, February 24, 2012

Gardening With Pigs

It has been in the 60's several days this week, which was so odd since we had snow this past weekend, but Micah and I took advantage of the warmer weather and got some much needed chores done. We needed to clean out the stalls and lay fresh straw down in the barn.

Which is maybe the most disgusting thing ever, but at least it's done.


Micah had to disassemble the whole pen to move it. Thanks dear!

And we also needed to move the pigs. We moved them a few months ago over the spot where we wanted our future garden to be. We kept our raised beds from last year, but we want to add on substantially to it this year so we had the pigs till up a new area (about twice the size of our current garden) and fertilize it. Once we moved the pigs, we spread compost (mostly our rabbit pellets) over the freshly tilled up area. The ground is ready now for planting, thanks to our piggies. I'm hoping to get some lettuce and beans in the ground this weekend and start some seeds indoors.

We are also expecting our chicks on Monday so we had to get the brooder ready as well. And I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. Raising chicks is one of the most rewarding things ever. Never mind the fact that we're going to eat most of them. :)

We've had a really productive week and it feels so good to get things done. I've also started on a few Easter projects for the kids. I'm making the boys matching neck ties and my daughter a crocheted shrug. More on that later though.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! And I'm linking up here today. :)

~ Sarah ~

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got a lot done! I'm still sick! I wanted so bad to be outside today but I feel yucky. I have ear infections and a sinus infection. I am on antibiotics now so hopefully I'll be better tomorrow! We get our first set of broilers next week. Steve's started some seeds and is prepping the soil. I hope all this warm winter weather doesn't mean a bad year for bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I have read here I really enjoy. I am following now and hope you will come visit and do the same!

    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/02/worms-champion-composter.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't it feel good to get those things done? :) Check them off your list! I can't believe that you'll already be able to plant. It is WAY too early here. I'll get seeds in the ground in another 2 months or so!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?