Thursday, March 22, 2012

For Love of Honey

We're back home from a little getaway for a few days. It was a quick spontaneous trip down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina where my in-laws live and we had a blast.



The weather was amazing, still too cold to swim, but we were able to spend time at the beach.

Somehow that little three day excursion put me so far behind in laundry and house cleaning.

Oh wait, having a husband and three kids puts me behind in laundry and cleaning. Right.

I came home to empty laundry soap containers so I had to whip up a batch before I could do any loads, but I love that since I make it myself, when I'm out, I don't have to rush to the store, I just make it!

I was also out of the homemade granola bars that I have been making and this particular recipe requires one full cup of honey! One full cup. Fortunately before we left for the beach some friends of ours had picked up a gallon for us locally and now I have plenty to cook with. This honey is unlike anything I have ever seen, it's almost the color of molasses and the best part, it's local (only a little over an hour away). My friend Joanna turned me on to this local honey farm and I'm so glad she did.

I think honey has become my new favorite thing too. Ever. I'm trying to use honey in replace of refined sugar as much as possible when I cook. Aside from the granola bars that I make and the whole wheat bread I make, I have been using it to sweeten my coffee. I have always used it in my tea but never considered it in my coffee, but I must say, it's wonderful.

And I have to confess, we broke our no-processed food tonight as we went to our neighbor's house for a little birthday shin-dig. Have I told you how much I love our neighborhood?

Anyway, I'll continue to post all the wonderful ways you can incorporate honey to your life but for now here is a great article on all the health benefits of honey.

Do you have any fun honey recipes?

~ Sarah~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?