Thursday, March 1, 2012

Melting Crayons With A Heavy Heart

Okay... before I get into the craft the kids and I did together this evening I want to share with you (more) troubling news. I recently told you my father-in-law was diagnosed with cancer. The doctors originally were giving him only months to live BUT, praise the Lord, he has been responding well to the chemo so the future doesn't look as bleak as it originally did. We are still in constant prayer for him, but I am more hopeful now. The troubling news is that my sister-in-law called us last night to tell us she has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

And for the record, CANCER I HATE YOU!!!!

She is having surgery and her doctors are confident that with the surgery and radiation they'll be able to remove all of it. Still the fact that she, a young mother of two young children, even has to go through this breaks my heart.

I trust there is a plan, and only He knows it, but all this cancer in our family is breaking my heart. I'm ready for everyone to be healthy again.

Like now.

Anyway, tonight after dinner I wanted to do something fun with the kids while we talked about their Aunt Melissa and their Grandpa and what cancer was. They asked lots of questions and I tried to do my best to answer honestly without having them worry themselves sick.



The kids had what seemed like hundreds of old broken crayons and I remember my friend Denise telling me that you could melt them down in muffin pans to 'recycle' them. I'm pretty sure she found the idea on Pinterest (uhm, my new favorite site) and I thank her for sharing this great craft idea with me.

I had found this pan at the thrift store and decided it would be perfect to melt the crayons in.

The kids helped me peel all the wrappers off and break them up a bit more. I put them in a 250 degree oven for about 30 minutes and then I transferred them to the freezer for 20 minutes. I took them out, let them cool to room temperature and they popped right out.



And look how cute they are! The kids love them (okay, and I do too.)


This is my favorite

It was a fun project and it was good to take our mind off of things, but my heart is still heavy.

I am, however,  reminded of His promises.

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have recieved it, and it will be yours. Mark 11:24

3 comments:

  1. Cancer hater here too.. Mu father in law is also in a battle now. We've been told he will never be cancer free but I am praying we've got a few (many) years left with him. I need to go through our crayons and do this, looks super cute!
    I will keep you all in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. My prayers go out to you and your father in law as well.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry about your family's news. I hate cancer too!



    We have done the crayon thing and it is so much fun. I think I liked it more than the kids! I love your muffin pan. What a score!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?