Friday, March 9, 2012

Out With The Bad...

I've been telling you about all the ways that I am trying to save money and keep chemicals out of our home with all of my 'green' cleaning. I've been making our own soap, shampoo, conditioner, household cleaners, baby wipes, laundry detergent, and fabric softener. And all of this is great, except it doesn't do us any good to keep chemicals out of our home if we also don't change the way we are eating.

Now if you asked me a few weeks ago, I'd tell you that we don't eat completely unhealthy. We try and avoid eating out, we raise our own meat and eggs, and we grow our own vegetables in the summer and fall. But as I have been reading up and researching how to eat healthier, I'm completely shocked by what I have been uncovering. I didn't think anything about the Capri Sun's I buy for my children's lunch.

Until I read this.

Oh. My. Word.

I encourage you to read the whole article, and yes even the part where it says that trans-fats are essentially plastic!

Micah and I literally went through our cabinets this week and threw out (we fed to the pigs what we thought was okay) all the 'processed' foods.

Ermm, so yah, our cabinets were nearly empty. Our freezers are stocked with the meat we've raised (or Micah has shot) the vegetables I froze from last season and the fruit we harvested locally, so I didn't have to throw anything out from there except I do have two frozen pizzas which I hate to waste, so I think we might eat them in one last ooo-rah.

Maybe

Anyway, I went to the grocery store after this 'cleansing' of the cabinets, and this eating-healthy-and processed-free-food is going to be very challenging. I mean trans-fats and high fructose corn syrup are in EVERYTHING!!!
I will continue to post about our new quest for healthier living and share any recipes I come across. I will say that I have started cooking eggs for breakfast during the week for the kids, even though eggs catch a bad wrap sometimes,  they are far healthier than Pop-Tarts or a bowl of Lucky Charms. I found this website for healthy snacks and lunches for kids because I was totally dumbfounded with what to pack for their lunches now. There are lots of great ideas and recipes on this site and I have already made the granola bars and was very happy with the result. (The kiddies weren't so thrilled).

Well that's all for now folks. My babies are fast asleep after a fun filled evening at the circus. It was a blast and I caught up so many friends I hadn't seen in awhile. :)

I better head to bed soon too. Tomorrow we plant our strawberries and asparagus and I'm hoping to take the kiddies hiking. Wish us luck!

~ Sarah ~

5 comments:

  1. I figured Capri Suns were bad after this summer. Dylan cant have them, at all. This past summer, I bought some to take to the river with us for the 2 day trip (saves packing bulk and cups) and the poor guy had the worst diaper rash EVER after only a few hours. Im talking RAW HINEY! I figured it out QUICK and didnt give him anymore, the rash went away. EWWW! I know next time, its worth buying the tad bit more expensive individual apple juice bottles, or better yet WATER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out books by "Jerry Baker". I think you would enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't already heard of the Weston A Price foundation, I would encourage you to google it and start some more research. Bravo to you for getting rid of teh junk you had and for being a mom that cares enough to read labels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great! Honestly, I've known that I should be doing this for years but have basically avoided these articles and movies like "Food Inc." because I don't know if I can handle the stress of it! The stress of trying to cook/bake/make everything from scratch. The stress of worrying about every bite that goes into my kids' mouths. I KNOW that I should do it... but just can't imagine how it can fit into our already packed life. I know, it's a poor excuse. I'm looking forward to reading about your journey with the process and maybe some motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement ya'll! Clint and Mountain Home Quilts, I will definitely check out those sites, thank you! Stacy, you should totally watch Food Inc, that's one of the reasons we are so gung ho about raising our own meat.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?