Thursday, April 5, 2012

She Does What????

I wanted to paint my mother-in-law a new sign for her kitchen. I had made her one before they finished their home, but now that she has put up some curtains and decor, I didn't feel like the sign I had painted for her matched her theme.



I know sunflowers aren't really a beach-y theme (they live right on the beach) but I had painted her a sunflower canvas tote for her music (she plays the organ beautifully) so I kind of had a theme going and wanted to stick with that (and I just like painting sunflowers).



Anyway, I wanted to put a scripture at the bottom of the sign for her and I immediately went to Proverbs 31 for the perfect verse. I like to avoid this chapter like the plague because it totally makes me feel inadequate, but in the name of the perfect verse, I went there anyway.



And I found it. In verse 15. 'She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family.'

I'm sorry, she does what??? She gets up when???

Okay..... I'll admit I am not a morning person. I never have been. And being a kind-of-wannabe farmer and a non-morning person is the epitome of an oxymoron.

I have been getting up earlier than I would like recently though, now that I have a doe (or two) in milk again. Because I lock the doe kids up at night away from their mother so she is good and full in the morning, I have to get up early enough to milk Bianca and care for the animals before I have to go back inside to wake the kiddies up for school. My hubby has been really good about helping me with the pigs though so that takes a little bit of the morning-chore-burden off my shoulders.

With that being said, I dread waking up early, I hit the snooze button as many times as I can, and I am always, always, running late in the morning.

And then it occurred to me. This is my job. I am a mother, and a wife. I am suppose to get my butt out of bed, and feed my family. Yes, I'd like to sleep more. Yes, I am usually tired throughout the day. But this is what I signed up for. It's my job to cook the meals, to nourish their bodies, to clean the kitchen after, to be diligent about what I feed them for breakfast and what I pack in their lunch and what I concoct for dinner.

So I am changing my attitude about the mornings. (Or at least try to.) I am going to *attempt* to look at it as a privilege to get up early and care for the animals and water the garden. The animals that provide eggs, milk, and meat for our family. The garden that feeds us throughout the summer and fall.

If I hadn't gotten up early this week I would have missed the little piglet that got out of her crate and separated from her mama, I would have missed the comical scene of the chickens literally crossing the road, and I would have missed the thirsty chicks that somehow knocked over their water in the middle of the night.

So if the Godly women portrayed in Proverbs 31 can do all those things described, I can at least wake up early in the morning with a good attitude right?

Right.

Except for tomorrow morning. I have to sleep in tomorrow. It's the first day of spring break and it's an unwritten law that you have to sleep in on the initial day. I swear. :)

~ Sarah ~

5 comments:

  1. Ugggg, why did you post this today? Our spring break starts next week??????

    You are so right though. Its amazing the things I can get done when I get up early and get going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go mama! :) Your post is encouraging. What a blessing to have you embrace the role that the Lord has given you - and to do it with a SMILE on your face. (Even if it's a smile with your eyes only half open.) The Lord will bless your obedience. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post just what I needed! I need to try harder! I hate mornings, ugh, but it is my job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just what I needed! I need to try harder to be like the virtuous woman! I hate mornings, ugh, but u r right, this is what I signed up for, its my duty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post just what I needed! I need to try harder! I hate mornings, ugh, but it is my job!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?