Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ups and Downs

It's been a busy week for us here on the farm. On Wednesday I brought three new goats home. It was a great decision, and I am so happy with them. I have been getting about 64 ounces in the morning from Rhubarb and I'm not even emptying her (I wanted to save a little for her kids in the morning), nor am I milking her at night so once her kids are weaned, we may not have to buy milk from the store at all.

On Thursday Gretel (one of our meat rabbits) gave birth to what I thought were 3 kits, but after closer inspection today I counted 10!!! They were all huddled on top of each other and I didn't want to disturb her nesting box too much, when I first checked, but I definitely counted at least ten this afternoon. Whew, you go girl!

Also on Thursday Fallon, our mini alpine, had a healthy little doeling. She's turned out to be such a great mama and in about two weeks I'll start milking her in the morning as well.

On Friday I sold one of my does. I loved her, she was a great milker, but I just can't keep everyone. I was sad to see her go, but I found a great new farm for her where I know she'll be taken care of. :(



Then on Saturday we woke up to five piglets. We weren't expecting babies for a few more weeks and we had planned to move Petunia's pen one more time but she farrowed before we could do that. She appears to be an attentive mother and they were all fine throughout the day (I checked on them at least once an hour). But last night we came home after having dinner with friends to a dead, squished pig. Like flat as a pancake squished. I know it was an accident, and I know these things happen, but it really bothered me last night, the loss of an animal and all.

I'm thrilled with all the new births and additions, but I'm saddened by the death of an animal and the sale of another. I know I need to keep my emotions in check and not get so attached, especially since a lot of these guys are going to be dinner!, but either way, it's been a week of ups and downs.

But I guess farming is.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have had a busy week. And yes, its always sad to lose an animal.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?