Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tomato Trouble and Zucchini Bread

I hope ya'll are enjoying your summer so far. I know we are and we still have some exciting things planned. Thanking the good Lord that we were fortunate enough to get some rain last night and again this afternoon. It certainly perked up our garden a bit and some of the plants I had planted around the house were looking a bit sad (even with daily watering from me) so the rain was certainly welcomed.

I know I am already feeding the goats and horses hay, like many others are having to do too, and it's a little scary. The pasture and surrounding grass is terrible, so even tethering them out into the fields isn't helping; feeding them hay was our only option. We still have a strong supply and fingers crossed we will get another cutting in late summer/early fall, but if this lack-of-rain-thing continues, we may not.

Although I am still harvesting things here and there from the garden, it's not nearly what it should be. I am, however, thankful for the little we have been getting. Unfortunately two of our tomato plants are suffering from blossom-end rot, from lack of water I presume. I am working on remedying this with a bit of manure, but it's looking bleak because ultimately prevention is key.



Our squash and zucchini plants are doing relatively well and I was able to make brownies the other night and added zucchini to the batch, and today the kids and I made two loaves of chocolate zucchini bread. I love that the kids are getting their veggies and not even knowing it. :)


Well we've got a fridge full of tomatoes now so it looks like next week I'll be canning salsa and sending the hubby BLT's for lunch. Have I mentioned how much I love summertime? :)

~ Sarah ~



1 comment:

  1. Our tomatoes have had blossom rot also and I just cut those parts off. I try to save as much as I can of the tomato. I'll be making salsa this week too!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?