Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Reusable Snack Bags

My kids are really excited about school starting next week. And I think I am too.

I think.

I'm looking forward to having a routine again, but I also know that getting all five of us up and fed along with all the animal chores done is going to be a challenge in the morning.

I was able to purchase all the kids school supplies this year during the tax free weekend, but there were a few things I wanted to try and make before school started. Try being the operative word. I did make my little girl some hair bows to match her uniform, but I never found the time to crochet her a little cardigan. She tends to always be cold and they keep the school nice and cool, so I thought a light cardigan might keep her more comfortable, but alas I never found the time....

And now that football season has begun, well, it's never going to get made now.



But I was able to sew the kids some reusable snack bags for their lunches. Micah and I are trying to be kinder to the planet and reduce our carbon footprint as much as we can, so these little bags can used in replace of Ziploc bags, and can reuse them a multitude of times.



I  bought ripstop nylon fabric for the inside which is a washable, food safe fabric. My friend April passed on the horse fabric to me after she made her daughter a shirt (she is a much better seamstress than I am), the pink fabric I found on sale, and the camo fabric I have had forever. My mom had the velcro, so all together this project of 8 snack bags cost me $11, and I still have a TON of fabric left over.

And I mean a ton.

I don't claim to be an expert seamstress so this will not be a tutorial, but let's just say this project was very easy, and if I can do it, you can do it.

Seriously.

Well, I hope your kids are as excited about school as mine are, now if I only they could wake up before nine o'clock tomorrow, we'd be good to go. :)

~ Sarah ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?