Friday, August 17, 2012

The First Anniversary

The first anniversary of my 29th birthday to be exact. Yup, and next year it will be my second anniversary and so on and so on. I know, I know, age is only a number, and 30 is the new 20, and blah blah blah blah...

But if you know me, you'll know that turning this particular age has really been bothering me. I don't know why, but it has, so much so that I almost couldn't sleep last night.

I will say that I am thankful for all the texts, and emails, and phone calls, and Facebook messages. I certainly feel loved, and I am more than blessed. My mom and step-dad took us out for a yummy dinner last week, my in-laws sent me a little birthday money, and my dad hooked us up and bought our tickets out to see him in San Diego, so it really has been a good birthday thus far. We had plans to go out to dinner with a bunch of friends, but football season has interfered with those plans, so we've got nothing fancy planned for this milestone year. My sweet neighbors and friends  got together with me yesterday though, so the kids could swim and we could eat cake.

 I love my family, and I love my friends, but even so, I still don't like the idea of being thirty.

Uhhhh.

Would you like to hear about my day so far? Okay, here goes.

12:35am- I went to bed completely exhausted, only to lie awake reciting cheers (I am helping my daughter's team) and trying to process the fact that I am thirty.

1:45am- I get up in the middle of the night and decide to paint my toe nails black and put my belly ring in. Because gosh darn it, if I'm going to be 30, I'm going to have fun and be tacky while doing it.

2:30am- Head back to bed after deciding that I might not be able to rock black toes nails, and I'll have to remedy that in a few hours when I 'really' wake up.



6:30am- Alarm goes off, I pull my old, tired self out of bed and see that Micah went out and got me donuts for my birthday. Ahh, thanks dear.

6:31am- I curse Micah for getting me donuts. I mean really, doesn't he know that's going to go straight to my behind? And the older you get, the more difficult it is to lose weight?

6:32am- I feel bad about cursing Micah and give him a hug. Gosh 30 has been emotional so far. I thank him for the roses, but decide that I'll leave the donuts for the kids

6:35am- Head out to feed and water the animals, and shovel up chicken and horse feces. I think I might be too old for shoveling up poo poo. I'm probably too old to still be saying 'poo poo'.

7:15am- Hop in the shower and notice a few more wrinkles on my face. Maybe it's in my head. Or maybe it's because I'm 30.

8:00am- My friend stops by to wish me a Happy Birthday and deliver her son (she had to work today), my kids start making their way down the stairs, and I kindly share with them my birthday donuts.

8:01am- All birthday donuts are completely gone and out of sight.

8:02am- I wish I had just eaten the dang gone donuts. I opt for a banana instead. You need less calories as you age right?

8:15am- The kids head out to play cops and robbers, I fold my first load of laundry for the day, wash and dry the dishes, make all the beds, and then sit down to fix some pants I ripped the other night on a nail while locking the goats up. I feel even more old after writing that paragraph.

9:15am- We head into town to run a few errands, go play in the park, and check out a few library books. While driving the "Call Me Maybe" song comes on and I blast the music and sing at the top of my lungs with the kids. Maybe I'm not so old after all.

No wait, I am. While getting up from the park bench, I am incredibly stiff and have to put my hand on my back like an old fart would do.

Apparently I am an old fart.

12:30pm- We come home, I make the kids lunch, I'm ready for a nap.

Sadly, they are not.

1:00pm- The kids look through their library books, and I look through old pictures of Micah and I when we were first married. That doesn't help. I feel even older.

1:25pm- My neighbor calls and invites us down to the lake for a swim. I think why not, I've had 30 years of sun exposure to this skin, what's one more day?



2:30pm- The kids want to pull the canoe out. I hurt my back (again) trying to pull said canoe out. I think I really need a nap now. And a drink. Or two.

3:34pm- We all dry off and head home. I fold another load of laundry, the kids play the Wii. I'd like to sit and play the Wii, but I am an adult now and I have lots of responsibility. This thought makes me feel even older, and I search the cabinets for a piece of chocolate. I need a piece of chocolate.

5:05pm- My friend's little man gets picked up, I begin making dinner. I'd really like to just make a batch of brownies and watch 'Say Yes To The Dress'. Or take a nap. I could take a nap.

6:30pm- I clean up after dinner, and a huge storm rolls through and I run out to quickly lock up the livestock. The kids and I play a quick game of Uno and settle in to watch the rain and listen to the thunder. I try calling Micah to see if his football game is canceled due to the rain, but there's no answer. Maybe he's mad at me for cursing him this morning.

I wonder if he'll bring me anymore donuts.

7:45pm- The kids have a snack, then wash up for bed. We are watching The Water Horse now and after they go to bed, I'm going to try and pull out all my old Britney Spears CD's and see if I've still got it. I probably don't, but that's okay because I'm 30 now and maybe getting older isn't so bad.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of being 30, but I love the fact that I have three beautiful healthy children, and a sweet smoking hot huth-band. I guess I wouldn' t be where I am today if I never aged.

So even though my actual birthday wasn't too terribly exciting, I have a great family, and great friends, and I have so much to be thankful for.

But if anyone asks, I just celebrated my first anniversary of my 29th birthday. :)

~ Sarah ~


6 comments:

  1. 'Call Me Maybe'....I hope you did the dance moves to go along with that song, haha! We love that song too:) It wasn't too long ago I remember spending MY 30th with you guys: Glad you had a great day and Happy Birthday to you my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww happy birthday!

    If it makes you feel any better, I pegged you to be in your mid 20's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really cute post ;) ive always seen the blog thingy pop up but honestly never clicked on it til now. Too many to catch up on but really fun to get an inside look at your life. I'm bummed we wont get to catch up this week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Bri! I know, bummer we can't meet up this trip. :( But next time we will. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?