Monday, January 28, 2013

Crochet Makes Everything Better and a Granola Bar Recipe

Well I did it. I told you yesterday I wanted to make a few new crochet projects I spied off Ravelry. A site which will be the end of me with all its beautiful patterns and projects.

But I digress.

I had a caffeinated soda last night. I know, what was I thinking? And I was up into all hours of the night.




So I made two coffee cozies with this easy pattern. I'll admit, I usually drink my coffee on the run in a travel mug, BUT I like the idea of having these on hand just in case life slows down enough for me to enjoy a cup of coffee at home.... just in case.

Now this morning I awoke tired from my late night of crocheting, but I was thrilled to receive a phone call from school that schools were closed today due to weather conditions. Yee-haw! I'll take a day home with my munchkins anytime. We all slept in, and then eventually trickled down the stairs, we stayed in our pj's and we watched the freezing rain pour down from the sky through the windows. My kids became occupied putting puzzles together, well my older two tried to complete a massive puzzle while my three year old kept messing it up, but anyway I took the opportunity to bust out the crochet needles again.

I canned a ton of food this summer from our garden, and we have slowly been going through the jars and we have recently been gifted some jams and soups in jars. I don't have a ton of cabinet space, but not wanting to throw anything away I wanted to re-purpose the jars. I have seen several patterns for crochet covered jars online and never knew what I would do with them.

Until today.



A jar for my hooks.



A jar for my paint brushes.



I've got plenty more ideas too. A jar for markers, a jar for colored pencils, a jar for make-up brushes... I see lots of jar covers in my future. :)

 I also had a few comments requesting the homemade granola bar recipe I use. Now I found it off this amazing site (which you really need to check out), but I could not for the life of me find it again. Luckily I make them enough, that I know the recipe by heart, but I just wanted it to be clear that this was Keeper Of the Home's recipe and not mine.


Homemade Chewy Granola Bars

4 1/2 cups of oats
1 cup of local honey
1 stick of butter, melted
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp of baking soda
1 1/2 cups of mix-ins (could be raisins, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, coconut, whatever you'd like)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, mix all the ingredients except for the mix-ins with a mixer, then add the mix-ins with a wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed. Pour in a 13 by 9 baking dish and bake for about 16-18 minutes until the edges of the bars are just slightly brown. Let the granola bars cool completely before cutting and then storing.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I really like your coffee cozies. I need them at work. As the mean old principal I get interrupted so often my coffee is cold before I can finish it and I hate cold coffee. Your granola recipe sounds good. I'll have to give it a try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?