Saturday, March 23, 2013

Going Green... Homemade Chest Rub and Toothpaste

So.... I have been battling this nasty cold for a few days now. I refuse to go the doctor since I am quite certain they'll tell me it's me a virus and I just have to ride it out, and doctor's offices are a cesspool of germs anyway. Seriously.

I have been reading this new book I recently purchased, and it suggests that a spoonful of honey every three hours or so helps with a sore throat, which in my feeble attempt appears to indeed actually help. I have been pounding hot tea and honey as well and even made my own chest rub (made from coconut oil and eucalyptus essential oil) in an effort to avoid to conventional medicine. I am feeling a little better, but still not at my greatest.

Anywho, the kids and I spent most of the day outside since it's suppose to rain/sleet/snow over the next few days and we'll most likely be stuck inside. Which is a little concerning since Easter is next weekend and my daughter and I have little sundresses to wear. Oops. Looks like this mama needs to crochet a few wool cardigans to help us from freezing our tails off!

I did a little more work in the garden today while we were outside. I came across this article last night with some good tips and ideas for raised beds. I am a huge fan of raised beds. The raised beds Micah built me a few years ago are in good shape, but I like to keep my eye out for good ideas.

After coming in today I decided it was time to try the homemade toothpaste recipe I had been eyeing for the past few weeks. I was hesitant I'll admit,  but the recipe seemed easy enough. So I concocted the paste and called the kids in the bathroom and we all tried it out.

And I must say, it was very salty... and well... horrible, BUT my teeth feel cleaner than they do after I come home from the dentist. I am impressed to say the least. So I think we have turned a new corner in oral care especially after reading this. I used her recipe minus the calcium magnesium powder and trace minerals.

Here is what our toothpaste consists of:

2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp baking soda
2 Tbsp stevia powder
1 tsp sea salt
20 drops of peppermint oil

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?