Monday, April 22, 2013

Crafty Monday {Earth Day Fun}

I hope you are celebrating Earth Day today with your children and family. I think it is so important to have an open dialogue about the earth with our kids. I know I am not as 'green' as I would like to be, but when I do 'green' things, I try and use it as a learning time with my kids and involve them with whatever I am doing.

Yesterday after church (okay, and after napping) we made bird feeders. I want to encourage birds to come on our property so that hopefully they'll eat the bad bugs that I don't want in my garden. I realize I'm putting my strawberries at risk here, but it seems to be the lesser of two evils.

I think.



Anyway, so I had the kids round up a pine cone each, and then I sewed a piece of thin yarn through the top. Then they spread peanut butter all over the pinecones, I spread out some wild bird feed on a plate and they rolled around the cones until they were completely covered. It was horribly messy, but it was loads of fun.




I tried to explain why we were doing this in easy terms for my 6 year old and 3 year old to understand. They might have been too busy licking the peanut butter off the knife though...

We worked in the garden a bit, I made a loaf of bread in the bread machine.



And who knew watching the machine mix up and knead the bread was so entertaining, these kids sat and watched it for a least thirty minutes. :)


To cap off an awesome Earth Day weekend, some staff members at my children's school got together and cleaned up the side of the road in front of the school. It was a long day, but it was a good one. I think my lower back will be feeling the trash clean up tomorrow, but it feels good knowing my kids are growing up green.

How was your Earth Day?

~ Sarah ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?