Saturday, April 13, 2013

Going Green {Packing It}

It was another warm spring day today! We had a bonfire last night, and in the dark of night, my daughter convinced Micah to take her training wheels off and she is riding her bike on two wheels now. :)  My son had his first soccer game today and this morning I was able to interview an amazing artist for a story I am working on. I was so impressed by her artistic talent (and kind of have an urge to paint something now.)

After soccer, I wandered around the gardens checking on everything and am happy with the way life is coming along.



The daffodils are all finally blooming, I'm sure all my irises are not too far behind as well. And the lillies are coming up too. I love bulbs for that reason. After cutting them back, I sometimes almost forget about them and then when the weather warms, surprise, there they are.



The dogwood and peach trees are getting beautiful blooms. The blueberry bushes and grapes are budding too.



This tree is my favorite. Micah planted it two years ago, and even though I don't remember what variety it it, I love it. It's right in my veggie garden and provides a little shade for the leafy greens.

Well enough about all this garden talk. Another way I try to be 'green' and healthy is by packing our lunches. Five lunches. Every day. Sometimes I feel like I spend 99% of my time in the kitchen either preparing meals or cleaning up after them, but I know it's for the best.

Packing lunches will not only save you money, but it is better for the environment too. I use re-usable lunch boxes (as opposed to paper bags) and the kids take water every day to school  in stainless steel bottles. I made several snack bags awhile back, and I'll admit, I haven't used them as much as I should. They are a pain to clean. I used Velcro on a few, and the food always gets stuck in there, but I'm going to be more diligent about using these instead of plastic bags.



I also make the food I pack in their lunches whether it's muffins, or granola bars or sandwhiches or brownies so it cuts down on packaging. Just think about buying a box of individually wrapped snacks, there is a TON of waste involved. I try and include lots of fresh fruit and veggies for my family too, so we stay healthy.

Every little bit helps, and you won't regret taking your lunch to school or work. So get packing it! :)  I'm trying to think about fun projects the kids and I can do to celebrate Earth Day. What are your plans? How are you going green with your family?

~ Sarah ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?