Saturday, April 6, 2013

Going Green {Staying Local}

We are back from our little mini beach getaway. It was short-lived, and we miss Micah's parents already, but the reality is with over two dozen animals depending on us to feed and care for them, longer trips are just not do-able. I do feel tied down at times to our home, but if I'm completely honest with myself, I love the life that we are living and I wouldn't change a thing, despite some of the drawbacks.

My hubby was kind enough to re-do the bathroom floors for me yesterday. On his day off. Bless his heart. He's not quite done so no pictures yet, but it's infinitely better.

We are trying to make this house more efficient and therefore more green, but it's old and there is still a LOT to do. I just keep telling myself patience grasshopper...

Right. Anyway, without having to completely renovate your home, one of the best ways to go green is to shop local. Support small business owners and stay local. The less miles your food has to travle, the better. Now I love Walmart, I do, and do shop there once or twice a month, but I do try and make what I can myself and I do try and shop local when I can as well.

Micah shops at the local hardware/feed store when he can too (though we do occasionally have to go to Lowe's).

Farmers markets are opening up around our area which is one of the easiest and best ways to stay local. Supporting your local farmer is a win win situation. Your food will be fresher and you'll see exactly whose two hands raised the food you are about to consume. I'll also love to shop on Etsy, which isn't technically shopping local, but it is supporting small business owners (which is a good idea too).

If you can't hit the farmer's markets, you can join a CSA. We never have just because we grow our own garden, but I hear very good things about these programs.

Spinach, lettuce, garlic, and onions


But of course, you can't get anymore local than growing your own food. And you know how I feel about that.  :)

Check here for more ways to go green.  Have a great weekend!

~ Sarah ~

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah, i looked for an email link, but could not find one so I will leave the info here. I think you may be interested in learning more about CSA, Sustainable Growth etc. However you may not like what you find and may change your mind about promoting such agendas. Look here http://agenda21news.com/2012/08/rosa-koire-of-democrats-against-un-agenda-21-on-glenn-beck-tv/ for a brief look into "going green". Taking care of what the Lord has given us is not a new concept like "going green" eco friendly" etc. It started in the garden of Eden. You may enjoy Born Again Dirt by Noah Sanders and looking at promoting living sustainably by following God's plan, not the UN's!;) you are a passionate American which is why I thought you would be interested in this!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?