Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Thankful Tuesday

I am thankful for so much today. As I sit here with my children and my husband and my husband's parents, I am immensely thankful for my family. Coming here to the beach is a good reality check.



It's easy to get caught up in our life and our problems. We complain about our homes. We complain about how much money we don't have, we complain about material things that we are lacking, we complain about our waistline, we complain about our kids, we complain about our spouses. We literally complain about anything and everything.

But we have so much don't we? And we aren't even thankful for it are we?

My father in law was diagnosed with cancer last year and it has been an emotional roller coaster for Micah and his family. Having someone close to you battling cancer puts everything in perspective. And as we were driving down here yesterday, Micah was in an absolute foul mood towards me and the kids. Understandably so though. If I were in his shoes and it was my father, I would be heart broken too, so I didn't take it personally.

But that's the thing about life isn't it. We take everything personally. The world revolves around us doesn't it? If someone is rude to us or short, we become upset with them, and wonder why they weren't kinder. But we never stop and consider what they might be going through do we? We never stop and show compassion, we just assume the worst and let anger and resent take hold. And then before we know it, we're mad at everyone and everything.

I know this for a fact. Because I was anger for a long time. I was anger at my mom for divorcing my dad. I was anger that my life didn't turn out the way it was suppose to. I was anger for most of my teenage years and I don't have a single fond memory, really, of that time. But then (after much prayer on my mother's part) I decided when I was 19 that I wasn't going to be angry anymore. I was tired of  living that way. So I forgave my mother, I forgave myself, and I let go, and I moved on.

And you know what happened? My life became infinitely better and shortly thereafter, I met Micah at church and four months later we were married and the rest is history. It has been a difficult ten years at times, but I am so thankful for my life now and the man I married and the love we have for each other  and the children we have had together. I am so thankful for my family. I remember the way I use to be, and I don't ever want to be that way again.

Why I am telling you all this? I am telling you this because I wish someone would have told me a lot sooner to let go of all the hate and ill feelings. I wish someone would have told me that life is short, and when you look back, you won't remember the trivial things, but you'll remember the relationships you had with the people in your life. I wish someone would have told me that holding on to the past and unforgiveness is a sure fire way to destroy any joy or happiness.

So get over it. Whatever someone has done to you or said to you. Whether it was your mom, or your boss or your husband. Let go. Forgive them. Move one and start living. Life is so fragile. And in the end, whatever you're upset about doesn't matter. Ask yourself before you become angry, is it worth it?  

Be thankful for your health. Be thankful for the roof you have over your head. Be thankful for the food you have on your table. Be thankful for your spouse. Tell him you love him, whenever you can. Focus on all he does for you, and don't focus on what he doesn't do.

Because you don't want to live your life angry all the time.

No one said relationships were easy. And they're not. But they are worth it. Another human being will always be worth it. Anger won't fill the void, anger won't help you sleep at night. But love will.

Because love conquers all. And it will always be enough.

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness Neighbor! You are such a breath of fresh air! God has poured His blessings on you. Please don't ever stop allowing His light to shine through you. Brittney forwarded this to me and said, Tammy you HAVE to read this! It is wonderful! I'm so thankful that God sent you to our road! :) You are a beautiful person with a sweet spirit. May God continue to bless you and your family! Tammy Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful that you guys went to visit and hope you will enjoy your time together. Have a safe and happy trip. Take time to really really enjoy yourselves. Don't hurry back or worry about anything here. We will all take care of your stuff and am only a phone call away. God Bless You All ~ Love to All ~ Mamaw Alice & Papa Ben

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?