Thursday, May 9, 2013

Dear Mike Jeffries, You're An Ass

Okay, have you seen the story about the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch and why he hates 'fat chicks.' I must say, I was completely shocked at the audacity of his words. You also must read this open letter to him from an amazing woman. I, at one point when I was younger and didn't concern myself with the price of clothing, use to shop at A&F. You can rest assured though that this company will NEVER have my business again. And I hope many other parents feel the same way as I do.

Everyone at some point in their life has been the subject of bullying. It's inevitable. Kids are mean and they say hurtful things. I was on both the receiving end of bullying and the giving end of bullying. And you know what? I felt worse about myself when I was being mean to others. I remember the hurtful things I said and did like it was yesterday. I did it I guess because I wanted to be 'cool' and fit in. I did it because I was insecure and wanted to put others down to feel better about my own issues. And when my peers said mean and hurtful things to me, I let it get to me. I let it control me and affect every decision I made.

And at some point, I realized that I could care less what other people thought. I guess I was around 18, and I woke one day and decided I wasn't going to live my life worried about what everyone else thought of me. I was going to be me and not care what other people thought.

And it was the most freeing day I have ever have. Sure I have my bad hair days now and then, sure I have my days when I complain to my husband that I'd like to lose a few pounds. But most of the time, I am happy with my myself, I eat healthy, I walk on occasion. I like me the way I am right now, 5'9, a size 8, and with plenty of stretch marks from laboring three kids. I don't care that I don't look like a model. I don't care that Mike Jeffries doesn't want people my size shopping in his store.

And you shouldn't either.

Mike Jeffries is just another bully. He's just another me when I was a teenager. He's insecure and he's picking on others to make himself feel better. He clearly has no compassion. In truth, I feel bad for him. If you truly are at peace with yourself, you don't feel the need to degrade others. I'm not angry with him. His words don't sting. I was shocked, but I'm not taking it personally. And I hope you don't either. It's people like him that make it so difficult for women. It's hard enough being a girl these days as it is, we don't need all this pressure from society and the media to be this perfect size and weight. We should focus on being healthy, whatever size that may mean.

The thing that does bother me is that THIS is the world my children are growing up in, particularly my daughter. This world where we feel the need judge people based on their race or size or age or bank account. This world where we care so much about how we look on the outside, that we forget the most important thing is how we are on the inside.

I often have conversations with my kids on the way home from school. We'll talk about the kids in their class, and I always encourage them to be nice to everyone. I encourage them to be considerate and compassionate. I encourage them include people at recess that might be sitting out. I DO NOT want to raise a bully.

So Mike Jeffries, I wish you the best, I really do. I hope you find peace. I hope you can look back on your life without regret. I hope you one day realize how childish your words are, but I also hope you realize that us 'fat chicks' are better than this and we don't need your silly clothing line anyway. You can keep it. I hope other mothers unite and boycott this store for its faulty thinking and perversion of beauty.

I want you to know Mr. Jeffries that I consider myself a good Christain woman and this might be contradictory, but I think you're an ass.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?