Saturday, May 4, 2013

Going Green {The Best Neighborhood and Homemade Shampoo}

Our favorite animal at the zoo: the bison!


I feel like this week has flown by so fast. I swear yesterday was Monday, and here we are and it's Saturday! We have had a busy week, but a fun one. My two younger babies and I went on a field trip to the zoo on Thursday. It was perfect weather wise and we all had a good time. And yesterday my oldest son went on a field trip to a living museum that was over two hours away! I'll admit I was a little nervous about sending him so far, and I wasn't able to go on the trip (I had to stay back with my two little ones), but I guess this is part of having your children grow up. Even though I'd love to keep my children safe and sound and in a bubble of protection, I realize I cannot. I have to let them go (a little).



The boys resting on the charter bus


My good friend and neighbor is one of the teacher's though and I entrusted my son in her care. And after she sent me periodic texts throughout the day and after he got home last night and told me of all the fun he had, I realized that I had nothing to worry about. We were so fortunate to move to this community that we live in. I have often written about the kindness and goodness that resides here, but I think I sometimes forget. Yesterday was a good reminder though as my friends took care of our children as though they were their own. And today as we spent the afternoon celebrating another neighbor's birthday. It occurs to me just how truly blessed we are. From the moment we first moved here, we have been welcomed with open arms. We have been invited to birthdays and dinners and parties and treated like just another member of the family. Which has been wonderful since both of our families live far away. Everyone should be so lucky to live where we live.

Enough with the mushie-gushies though. I have been meaning to get around to our shampoo situation for quite some time. For a period, we were using baking soda and apple cider vinegar to wash our hair. It sounds gross. And you know what, it kind of was. I DID NOT like the smell of the ACV, even though I love vinegar (just not in my hair). This recipe was not doing it for me.  So I did a little research and found a  homemade recipe for shampoo. It is taken from here, and we used it tonight for the first time and I must say, I am thrilled! I used tea tree oil (which is great for so many other things) and it smells wonderful, not to mention we have avoided all the harsh chemicals and dyes found in traditional shampoo. The best part was that I was able to brush through my daughter's Rapunzel-esque length hair without difficulty tonight (which never happens.)

Homemade Shampoo

1/2 cup pure castille soap
1/4 water
1/2 tsp olive oil
40 drops of essential oil



I think this will be a new staple in our chemical free beauty regimes. I also picked up some deet-free and toxin-free bug spray the other day and we have switched over to a healthier sustainable deodorant. Tom's of Maine might be my new favorite company. They are all about sustainability and giving back to the planet. I wore their deodorant all day through my son's soccer game and going on a walk, going to a birthday party, and working in the garden without any problems. I'm sold on them.

It has been a great day. I am feeling very loved and blessed and I am just so thankful for this little life we have. I hope you had a great Saturday too!

~ Sarah ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?