Sunday, June 9, 2013

Black Strap Molasses Cookies

Our summer has arrived.

School finished on Friday and it was wonderful. It was an early dismissal day to boot, so we headed down to the nearest town to catch a movie. We watched Epic in 3D and it. was. awesome. I mean it's a movie that I would watch again (even without the kids).

After the movie, I took my kids out to dinner and let them indulge in foods that we don't normally eat. My oldest son decided on two corndogs, fries and hush puppies. I think he's trying to tell me he misses junk food. :)

Anyway, while it's technically our summer vacation now, I had lots on the ole to-do list to accomplish. First off was the garden. We have had a TON  of rain, which I am by no means complaining about, but I hadn't been out to weed in awhile and let's just say it was a forest out there. A literal forest.

I pulled most of it and hoed under the rest. It was back breaking work and even though the promise of flowering squash and cucumber plants kept me going, I needed something else to award my efforts.

I had picked up a jar of black strap molasses from our local country store after reading of all its health benefits. It has a very distinct flavor and smell so I wasn't quite sure how to coax my children (or myself) into consuming it.

This was the solution to my problem.



So far in my 24 years of existence (okay 30) these are hands down the BEST cookies I have ever made. I made four dozen thinking I would freeze some.

Right. Yah. They're almost gone. There will be no freezing of these cookies. I hope you try them and enjoy them as much as I we do.

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
1 cup turbinado (raw) sugar
1 duck egg (or 2 medium chicken eggs)
1/2 cup black strap molasses
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or whatever flour you have on hand)

Combine the first four ingredients and mix well with a blender. Next fold in all the dry ingredients. Cover and chill for about an hour and a half. Preheat oven to 350 degrees then roll the chilled dough into small balls. Roll the balls in sugar. I rolled mine in organic sugar crystals (which are bigger) and I think this really added to the cookies, but refined sugar would work too. Bake for about 9 minutes and then let cool completely on a wire rack. Try not to eat them all before your husband gets home from work! Enjoy!

~ Sarah ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?