Saturday, June 15, 2013

Lessons Learned


When I began taking pictures this afternoon, I had a much different blog post in mind than the one I am about to write. I had planned on telling you of the lilies that are blooming....



...I had planned on telling you how nice it is to see butterflies in the yard...



...I had planned on telling you that we will soon have wild blackberries.



But instead I am going to share a few lessons with you that I have learned this weekend.

Lesson #1: Don't get tattoos. Just don't do it. I went in last night for another round of laser tattoo removal. I won't show you a picture (because it's gruesome). The things you think you like now, you won't like so much ten of fifteen years from now. So just don't do it. Don't put a permanent fixture on your skin. Because you are going to change your mind. And then you'll have to endure laser tattoo removal when you do change your mind.

And it is exactly no fun. None.

Lesson #2: Flip flops are never appropriate on a farm. Never. This was a painful lesson today. After arriving home from running a few errands I thought I'd move a few chicken tractors real quick.

Well there I was in my fancy new sandals and somehow I slid the tractor funny and it landed on my big toe and pulled the darn thing right off except for two small pieces. Which I then tried to remove myself thinking it needed to be done.



And I'll tell you what, it hurts. Bad. I birthed three kids naturally, have had ten tattoos put on, and five lasered off, been in a car accident and broke a rib, and pulling your toe nail off is right up there in the pain department.

I will never, ever wear flip flops on my farm again. Ever.

Lesson #3: Always be prepared. Awhile back I threw out all or conventional medicine because we are trying to be chemical free and all. Which is great and fine. But sometimes, like I don't know, when you rip your toe nail off, you want to drown yourself in pain medicine! My poor husband was working today, so I was on my own with three kids and no way to ease the pain. My toe hurt so bad that I didn't even think I could drive to the store to get some medicine so I have had to wait all afternoon for my sweet Micah to bring me some.

So even if you think you aren't going to need something, you will. Just have it on hand. Just in case.

Lesson #4: Kids need to get out and play. I'm not proud of this, but I was a horrible person to my children today. I was short and grumpy and mean and I didn't want them playing outside unattended so I made them stay inside with me while I laid on the couch writhing in pain. In hindsight, they would have been fine outside. It was a beautiful day and I should have let them play outside and release some of their energy. Instead they were cooped up with a mean mommy and they destroyed the house and broke a picture frame (on accident).

Lesson #5: You don't have to be a drinker to have alcohol on hand. Micah and I don't drink. It's just a personal preference, but on a night like tonight, I can see the appeal of having a glass of wine (or ten) just take the edge off.

I think I'll go into town tomorrow after church (you know because I have to ask the good Lord to forgive me for all the cursing I did today!) and stock up on pain medicine and wine.

I hope you had a great Saturday and I'm hoping tomorrow goes a little smoother for me. :)

~ Sarah ~

2 comments:

  1. Sarah ~ why didn't you call me...I have pain meds and WINE. Even have some cheese if you whine too much...get better soon!!! Love to all ~ Mamaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon. I would agree that many tattoos young people get are trendy, but not all. As an example, as a father and husband in my thirties, I am proud of all of my tattoos. They are all very symbolic - ie. remembrance of a deceased parent or pay homage to my heritage. Everyone has an important story to tell - and tell I do. No regrets here, even twenty years later.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?