Monday, July 29, 2013

Crumb Cake and Deodorant (because they totally go together)

Wanting something other than eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, I made an easy crumb coffee cake last night that I pulled out this morning from the fridge. It was nice not to have to cook or clean up after breakfast and it was even nicer to enjoy the yummy coffee cake. I made sure to enjoy a slice with my favorite fair-trade coffee.



I also last night, in my apparent burst of energy  after making spaghetti for dinner, made homemade deodorant. I know, I know, crazy right?

But the natural, aluminum free deodorant we have been using is almost $5 a pop! Yikes. I had been reading about various homemade versions and the verdict seemed to be that they actually worked, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I didn't have arrowroot powder, but I did have cornstarch and that was, from what I read, a happy alternative. I also added a TON of tea tree oil for all its benefits and uses for skin, and I ultimately just like the way it smells.

Here is the recipe that I used:

Homemade Deodorant

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup cocoa butter
4 tbsp. cornstarch
4 tbsp. baking soda
15 drops of tea tree oil

I heating up all the ingredients in a mason jar over boiling water which I saw on Wellness Mama and that worked out great. Then while it was still hot I poured it into our deodorant tubes. I am just using old ones that I have cleaned out and I am storing mine in the fridge so they stay nice and hard.



I do think next time I need to add more cornstarch. The deodorant is not as hard as I would like it to be, but otherwise it seems to be working really well. I'm off to the lake, so we'll see it holds up in the heat of the sun.

Happy Monday to you!

~ Sarah ~




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?