Thursday, August 15, 2013

Thankful Thursday (The Case Of The Rabid Animal)

There is so much to be thankful for.

I'm thankful for the roosters that will go in the freezer this weekend. After my son's football game this Saturday we have the task of processing some of our broilers. I'll be honest, it's not my favorite thing to do, but I am looking forward to having chicken to eat again. We have long since run out and have been feasting on venison which I am completely tired of (though thankful for).

I'm thankful for all my teacher friends who have been working tirelessly to prepare for the upcoming school year. I don't envy them at all, but I am thankful for all they do. My children had such a great experience last year at school and I am looking forward to what's in store for them this year. All three of my babies will be in school which means this mama is heading back to work. :(

I'm thankful though that I have a part time gig in the school system so that I can generate a little income while still being home with my kiddies when they need me.

Mostly, I'm thankful for this life. This life that allows me to feel like Annie Oakley from time to time. What do I mean by that you ask?

Oh well let me tell you. Yesterday the kids were outside and my son noticed a ground hog walking right by him. He yelled for me to come look at it, and I just had this horrible feeling. There was really no reason for a wild animal to be hanging around for my son to stop and stare at it.

Unless it had rabies.

I called for him to leave it alone and then I told the kids to go inside. I took a closer look at the animal and it didn't run away when I came upon it. It was walking in circles and acting like it was drunk. (Not that I have any idea what it means to be drunk.) There was no foam at the mouth, but from what I understand that is a symptom in the later stages so this animal could have been in the early rabies phase.

I went into the house and called my husband and asked if I could use his gun to shoot the animal, and he calmly walked me through how to load the gun again over the phone and wished me luck. By the time I headed back out, the animal was long gone.

I looked and looked and looked, but it was nowhere to be seen.

I'd like to stop and point out that I am thankful that I have a bad ass for a husband who is so calm and cool and collected that he can both walk me through how to shoot an animal over the phone, but he can also have the where-with-all to do without losing his cool. If the situation were reversed, I'd be a hot mess.

Big time.

After searching for the animal to no avail, I safely put the gun up and went about my day. Today, however, after we arrived back home from the store my daughter noticed the ground hog again. I wasted no time, and ran inside and loaded the gun, told the kiddies to stay there and ran outside to the theme of Rocky (in my head of course). The animal was doing the weird, drunken walk again and I felt that it was better safe than sorry, so I took aim and shot. I was shaking like a leaf, but I managed to kill it. I may or not have peed my pants. (But I'll never admit to anything.) I put the gun back on safety and then I called animal control. I think the good Lord was watching over me today  because normally I'm a bit of a basket case and I tend to slightly overreact. Just slightly though. So it was a real shock that I was able to handle it all so well.



Animal control came and picked up the dead animal and that was that. I did take the time to explain to the kids that we never kill animals just because, we kill to eat, or in this case, we kill to protect. And we never play with guns. I explained that the ground hog was sick and he needed to go to ground hog heaven.

I'm thankful today didn't end in disaster. I'm thankful no one was hurt. And I'm thankful that I remembered to call Micah back after using the gun. Remember what happened the last time I called Micah in a panic with a gun in hand? Yah, it wasn't pretty. :)

And on that note, after all the excitement of the day, I'm going to bed.

Happy Thursday to you!

~ Sarah ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?