Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Thing About Food

The thing about food is...... that it's hard to come by.

No really. It is. In the last post I wrote, I told you that we lost the majority of our meat when our chest freezer accidentally came unplugged.

Since we are unconventional (read weird) and will only eat meat that Micah has provided by hunting or we have raised ourselves, we have become unintentional vegetarians this week.

We have had some sort of gluten free pasta every day but one this week. On the one day we didn't have pasta, we had eggs, another meal which I am completely and utterly sick of!



Hunting season is only a little over a week away, and no pressure or anything, but I need Micah to kill something immediately. I even asked him the other night if we could go fishing just so I could have some type of meat! Crazy right! I have complete respect for those that live a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, but I can honestly say it's something that I'll never be able to do. Ever.

We have a few chickens that are the right size for butchering, but at this point, we just haven't had the time with it being football season and all. We also have three hogs that are getting nice and plump, but again, Micah doesn't have much free time these days with his commitment to football. And since he does most of the butchering on his own (with just a little help from myself) we are at the mercy of his schedule.



I was second guessing our lifestyle choice tonight when I was outside in the dark of night searching for eggs. I needed three for a batch of brownies I was making for a luncheon we are having tomorrow at school. We have over 20 chickens but the gosh darn birds have decided to NOT lay in their boxes and lay instead in the square bales Micah just stored for the winter. I don't even want to think about the creepy crawlies, mice and snakes that were lurking about as I stuck my bare hands in there to search for my baking ingredients.

I found the needed eggs, but not without a fair about of work first though.

There's never a dull moment around here. This life keeps me on my toes. I'm desperately craving a big juicy piece of meat.

But at the end of the day, I wouldn't change a thing.

Except for shoveling up poo. I would change that instantly. :)

Happy Thursday to you!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post cousin! I'm with you. Kill something Micah!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?