Sunday, January 12, 2014

Rainy Days Are Good For Trying New Things

In my last post, I mentioned how I was bummed that school was resuming for my babies. But we only ended up having to go to school for 3 days this week due to the weather. And on one of the days, we had a two hour delay! It was magical. And I loved it. You'll never hear me complain of school closings. Ever. :)

It poured down freezing rain all day Friday while we were home, as well as rained all day yesterday too, so the kids and I hunkered down by the woodstove. And it was wonderful. In fact, none of us even got out of our pj's on Friday. Yesterday we did have to venture out, we went to my son's basketball game and then out to lunch. I have been doing so well this year making every single meal from scratch (and healthy) that I rewarded myself and went out to Subway. And that was magical too. But maybe not so healthy.

Check out those rockin' basketball socks!


And with the rain, brought  the notion of trying new things. I made brown rice in the crockpot last night (in preparation for tonight's Chinese inspired meal) and it turned out perfect. I think I'll cook it this way in the future. 2 cups or organic brown rice, 2 cups of water, and 2 cups of bone broth that I made last week from a chicken and I let all that cook on high for 3 hours in the crockpot, and easy peasy, perfect rice.

Always one to have his picture taken...


Who knew? My crockpot has been my best friend this week. And it will be next week too as ballet begins, and then shortly after that, gymnastics resumes. Menu planning has also been a life saver for me and cooking real food for my family is do-able when I can plan out each month accordingly.

After my rice success, I was searching for new crochet ideas and patterns and I kept seeing all this stuff for 'arm knitting'. I clicked on it. Naturally. And was shocked to see these beautiful chunky cowls that supposedly had been made on an arm in less than 30 minutes.



I had to try it out for myself and used the only two bulky skeins of yarn I had in my stash, and I made a long, chunky scarf on my arm in 15 minutes. I crocheted the ends together and wrapped it twice around my neck for this look. I am definitely headed back to the store this weekend for more chunky yarn so I can make my daughter one. Just Google 'arm knit' and you'll find videos on YouTube to help you out.

Here's to trying new things. Happy Sunday to you!

~ Sarah ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! Now tell me, what'd ya think?